I was on Ksl and saw this article saying Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin passed away last night. At 91 years old, he was the oldest living apostle of the church. I went on to read his last conference address titled, "Come What May, and Love It." I thought there were a lot of good positive things that he mentioned and I thought I would share them:)1. The way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life.
2. Every life has peaks and shadows and times when it seems that the birds don’t sing and bells don’t ring. Yet in spite of discouragement and adversity, those who are happiest seem to have a way of learning from difficult times, becoming stronger, wiser, and happier as a result.
3. The Lord in His wisdom does not shield anyone from grief or sadness.
4. If we approach adversities wisely, our hardest times can be times of greatest growth, which in turn can lead toward times of greatest happiness.
Things he says that have helped him through times of testing & trial:
1. Learn to laugh- The next time you’re tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead. It will extend your life and make the lives of all those around you more enjoyable.
2. Seek for the Eternal- You may feel singled out when adversity enters your life. You shake your head and wonder, “Why me?” But the dial on the wheel of sorrow eventually points to each of us. At one time or another, everyone must experience sorrow. No one is exempt.
Learning to endure times of disappointment, suffering, and sorrow is part of our on-the-job training. These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are precisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character, and increase our compassion for others.
Sometimes the very moments that seem to overcome us with suffering are those that will ultimately suffer us to overcome.
3. The Principal of Compensation- The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude. (What a great promise... I LOVED this one!!)
4. Trust in the Father and the Son-
“God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son.” The Lord Jesus Christ is our partner, helper, and advocate. He wants us to be happy. He wants us to be successful. If we do our part, He will step in.
He who descended below all things will come to our aid. He will comfort and uphold us. He will strengthen us in our weakness and fortify us in our distress. He will make weak things become strong.
So, that was a lot longer post than I had intended, but there were just so many good things in his last talk that I loved. And I think that I can use the quote.."Come What May, and Love It" very often in my life:)
4 comments:
Good post! Wow it have checked your blog for a week and wow!! Lots of posts!!! We are doing the book thing too!!!
I love this post! What great things to be reminded of. Thanks! Also, you are looking so cute preggo....how do you do it?
This was my favorite talk, life would be so much better if we chose to laugh instead of get mad, or cry for that matter..... what a nice post!
I love Elder Wirthlin's talks; he'll be missed. I loved his story about how on family trips, sometimes they would take a wrong turn. Instead of getting mad, they would laught; everytime they took another wrong turn, they would laugh harder! It was a great talk; it was great to be reminded of it.
Post a Comment