Monday, August 24, 2009

BYU Hands

So Derek likes to climb on pretty much everything, so he climbed up on the counter when the stovetop was still hot and he got pretty bad second degree burns on both of the palms of his hands:( They had to pull off all the dead skin with tweezers after the blisters popped and I had to clean it and continue to pull off the dead skin around the edges daily and he would scream every time...no mommy it hurts, no more mommy...I felt so bad! He was pretty excited to have the blue wrapping on each of his hands though and we made it even more fun by adding the Y for BYU... when he was sick of getting the skin pulled off and having them cleaned he would say "I want lotion and BYU hands mom":( They are finally starting to look much better and it is amazing to me how the body can heal and recover from such a bad burn like that!


The blister on this hand was the size of his whole palm the morning after I took this picture, and then he got blisters on the tips of his fingers and all the way down his pinky finger as well:(


This was after it had had some of the skin pulled off and
had been wrapped up over night, the whole white area was a blister
and had to be pulled off... YIKES!


Derek and his teary eyes...
he was very happy to have his lotion and "BYU hands"

After the "Y's" were drawn on...what a trooper :)

9 comments:

paige said...

That just makes me want to cry! I'm so glad his hands are healing :)

Jen B. said...

ohhh, that is so sad.....I am sorry, that really sucks. So cute that he loves his BYU hands...that is the cutest thing.

ATWOOD said...

Poor little Derek! I have had some close calls with Ethan climbing on everything, I'm going to show him Derek's poor little hands and maybe he'll understand ;-) (ha, ya right) What a little trooper Derek is! I can't imagine how much that would hurt. Did you have to take him to the doctor everyday?

Ryan, Melissa, and Family said...

I had to take him in every day for 3 days and then I just had them give me the stuff and I had to clean it and debride it every day for about a week at home....it looks SO much better now though it's crazy!

Jennifer Parcell said...

This is absolutely gut wrenching! I just cringe seeing the pictures! I hope he continues to get better! The BYU hands are precious. What a brave boy! I am sorry that you all had to go through this!

Lacie said...

Oh my goodness how sad, the poor little guy.

Smith Family said...

OUCH!!! I'm going to show this to my kids too! Just tonight, Mackenzie climbed up on the counter and was going to lean over a scorching hot griddle to get a glass. She whined when I grabbed her and made her get down and ASK for a cup so that she didn't get burnt! Now it might help her realize how serious I am! I hope he is feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

This hurts me just looking at it! Nothing hurts worse than a burn. Im sorry this happend....ouchie!

Joshua and Tara said...

Oh my gosh! Poor little thing. Makes me so sad for him. What a little sweetie!